Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday: Lies, Knives and Girls in Red Dresses


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature at Breaking the Spine.

My pick this week is the upcoming book Lies, Knives and Girls in Red Dresses by Ron Koertge
 
Summary:

Writing in free verse honed to a wicked edge, the incomparable Ron Koertge brings dark and contemporary humor to twenty iconic fairy tales.

Once upon a time, there was a strung-out match girl who sold CDs to stoners. Twelve impetuous sisters escaped King Daddy's clutches to jiggle and cavort and wear out their shoes. A fickle Thumbelina searched for a tiny husband, leaving bodies in her wake. And Little Red Riding Hood confessed that she kind of wanted to know what it's like to be swallowed whole. From bloodied and blinded stepsisters (they were duped) to a chopped-off finger flying into a heroine's cleavage, this is fairy tale world turned upside down. Ron Koertge knows what really happened to all those wolves and maidens, ogres and orphans, kings and piglets, and he knows about the Ever After. So come closer - he wants to whisper in your ear.

Why I picked it: I love, LOVE updates on fairy tales. I also like the cover. I hope this is a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Ha, that cover rocks and the blurb definitely sold me. Thanks for sharing this one with the rest of us! *adding it to my tbr list*

    Patricia // My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower, I love the sound of this book and while I've never heard of it before it's definitely going on my wishlist, great pick, my wow

    http://www.headstuckinabook.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/waiting-on-wednesday_17.html

    ReplyDelete